Wednesday, September 05, 2007

iPod Reax

The implications of the wifi iPod are going to be big. For multiple reasons, one this is the first mainstream, portable wifi device to hit the American market. Like the iPod for portable music players, it is going to spur other companies to produce other wifi products. The mass availability of wireless devices, which allow for Internet access will have a number of direct impacts on our society.

This further changes the idea of location. What is the importance of the office if I can do pretty much everything I need to do from my mobile device? It also again changes the way newsrooms are going to think about distribution. If wifi devices end up becoming a majority technology, which I assume will happen, newsrooms will be able to go right to the phones. Here is what I am picturing: If there is breaking news in Columbus, I want WBNS to text me and let me know about it. I also want them to set-up a vodcast and have it sent straight to my phone (which hopefully the mobile iTunes will support).

This is the future. The iPod, podcasts, etc. were all pieces of this puzzle. To be able to access my whole life on one mobile device is where we are going. The newsrooms have to catch-up. I want to see iPhone newscasts by the end of the week. I know this is a new technology, but this is were we are going. This is what we have been waiting for and what I have been picturing for the last number of years.

I don't know how to study these trends in an academic setting, but if anyone has got any ideas drop me a line. Over the next week or so I am going to try to put on my futurist cap and think about the implications of mobile technologies on various field (ie. journalism and politics). Hopefully through thinking about the future I can overcover the concepts in this which need studied.

Ohhh...by the way I bought an iPhone.

No comments: