Friday, September 07, 2007

My feedback on the iPhone

My iPhone doesn't connect to the OSU wireless network, because OSU only supports 802.1x. The iPhone doesn't current support that. I know they are probably not going to even read my letter, but I must say it made me feel a little better. Also, University of Texas has a link right on their wireless page to go the the Apple feedback section and complain, which is cool. If you feel like complaining about this problem, please go here. Anyways, this is my letter to Steve submitted through the Apple feedback section:

Hey Steve,

I assume Steve Jobs reads everyone of these e-mails. Anyway, I just bought the iPhone and love the hell out of it. I think when it comes to interface design there is no single company better than Apple. My suggestion is that you add 802.1x wireless connectivity and here's why. I am a PhD candidate at The Ohio State University and one of my good friends is a PhD candidate at UT-Austin. These 2 schools represent over 100,000 students and 20,000 faculty and staff. Most of these people are in your target demo and none of us can use our iPhones on the campus wireless networks because of the lack of 802.1x support. IF OSU and UT are the same, there must be a number of other colleges using this style of connectivity, which could really anger users in your target market.

I googled real quick and these schools (2006 enrollment) also use 802.1x:

University of Florida (50,785)
University of Minnesota is in the process of switching to 802.1x (50,402)
Syracuse University (19,802)

Just an idea.

Thanks,

Nick Geidner

No comments: