Friday, October 14, 2005

What's next...

Well as I had predicted a couple months ago, Apple released the iPod video and a new version of iTunes, with full video options, so then the question to ask is what's next? I got a few ideas.

The first and biggest is going to be the addition of Wi-Fi to the iPod video. The Wi-Fi enabled iPod video takes the whole idea of vodcasting and podcasting to the next level. I assume when they do it, it will include an RSS style auto-update feature, which will download new versions of any of the pod/vodcasts to which you subscribe. This auto-updating will happen anytime you walk into an open Wi-Fi area, such as say, San Francisco.

Here's how I picture this will work for me. I'll subscribe to the CNN Breaking News/Updates vodcast, maybe some other ones, but definitely that one. And say every half an hour or so, CNN will update their vodcast and if I am in a Wi-Fi area it will automatically get downloaded to my iPod, writing over the previous cast.

I think this will be huge and so convenient. I also think it will grab multiple demos, unlike the full show or music video model, which Apple is using as the jumping off point.

I also think the implications iTunes 6.0 will have on the market are huge. I have not downloaded anything yet, but a friend of mine downloaded an episode of Desperate Housewives and was impressed by the quality. He said in high-movement, high-action moments you could see a little pixelization, but that was it. So this leads me to think, why should I pay 12 bucks a month, or whatever I pay, for Tivo. I mean given, there are only a few shows available now, but that is going to end up expanding. So once there is more available I can just pay 2 bucks for commercial free shows, whenever I want them. I don't need to remember to have the Tivo record or anything.

There will still be more on this, but for now that is all I have.

No comments: