Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Call me an asshole, but...

This is my problem with the world now-a-days. The NAACP is showing strong support of Michael Vick. In a statement today, R.L. White, president of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP, said Vick was a redeemable human being and should be treated like one. He clearly said Vick should be punished for his actions, but he also said the NFL shouldn't ban him. (Full Story from CNN)

I'm sorry but where was forgiveness in the Imus situation. I didn't hear the NAACP call for the public to hold their judgment and to remember he is a human being. He made a bad, clearly offensive joke. Mike Vick allegedly killed dogs for fun. I don't mind groups coming out for something they believe in. I don't actually really care that the NAACP is supporting Vick, but it is the constant hypocrisy that really bothers me. And unfortunately this isn't limited to just the NAACP. This extends to political parties, lobbying groups, and countless other organizations. The media and the American public has made it so simple to create these simple dichotomies were two people argue back in forth, that now-a-days I don't think it matters what they are arguing about.

We as people need to start examining these messages, so we can gain an understanding of not only the immediate message, but also the context that surrounds the message and the speaker. I believe this is again a call for all universities to add Media Literacy or some such class to the core curriculum. Students today need to have a greater understanding of media, so they can deconstruct the messages presented through it.

Now I'm going to need a ladder to get down from this pedestal...ohh nevermind, no ladder needed...there are a couple of soapboxes right here I could use to get down.

No comments: