Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Grad conference

So I am at the first day of the two-day Graduate development Conference, an elitist way of saying orientation, and it is going well. On my break I was looking at some things and I found this article linked on Romenesko. It is from the Bloomington Pantagraph, in central Illinois and it talks about how there shouldn't a federal shield law. I just find it interesting that any editorial board would take a stand such as that. Why would you not want as much protection as possible for your reporters. I do understand some of their points and reasoning, but I disagree with it. Basically their reasoning is that reporting isn't as credible now-a-days and reporters use anonymous sources to insert their own opinion. And I agree that it is horribly wrong to use background and anonymous sources like that, but above all we must protect the people that are using them correctly to uncover and expose wrong-doings and corruption in our government and public entities.

No comments: