Thursday, August 18, 2005

Podcasting

Again I find myself talking about podcasting. I have only been operating this blog since the 1st of August, yet I have already talked about podcasting two or three times. There was a short, little blurb on the NYT site on Monday talking about recent estimates of how many people will be using podcasts in 2010. The first study, done by Marc Freedman at The Diffusion Group, estimates that 56.8 million people will be using podcasts in 2010. The second, by Ted Schadler of Forrester Research, estimates that 12.3 million households, or appox. 30 million people, will be using podcasts by 2010.

I think I am going to choose to disagree with both of them. I just don't believe they are going to last or, at least, they are not going to be in the same form that is currently being used. The thing, in my opinion, is just this simple: People don't like talk radio and podcasting is just glorified, portable talk radio. What I mean here is this: Yeah, there are some people that love talk radio and it does serve a great purpose, I just don't see podcasting in the long run causing a talk radio renaissance.

No comments: